Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Triggerfish Fare

Triggerfish Fare

by Seah Greenhorn
(Poem with copyright)





Slick
my skin caught on angry
thin razor teeth
slicing me
as human sushi.

Paddled away, I, horizontal and swiftly,
not quite the way natural fish fly, 
but confess I must, not deny
in salt water ignorance,
total fish school innocence,
my fins fanned the ire
of paternal fangs.
I can not lie.

Triggered?

The blue throat yellow fin gang
guarding 'gainst intruders intrigued
by blowing, fanning, rolling on eggs
spawned on sandy bottoms: sea.
Oxygen
by mothers blown
to hatch embryos grown
in twenty-four hours
I saw.
See

my presence known
threatened their familial goals.
(Since, shown
these bullies exist
in vacation spots.)

Males
tigers mimic; 
as king fishes
regal
aggressively maintaining
polygamous territories...
personally
enthroned.

Fight's their personality.
I should've known.


So, I swam for fear
with frantic might.
They swam in rear
to hook me,
dear,
as prized possession--
human fare.

My sweat--
added inducement
for fish delight.

Aromatic
Me:
a delicacy
oily fatty,
but, ostensibly
rare.

No comments:

Post a Comment